Here’s something to get your teeth into!
The Sharks Up-Close Tour at SeaWorld Orlando is a great addition to your day at the park – not to mention great preparation for your local pub quiz!
- There are about 15 sharks in the tank at the end of the Shark Encounter attraction.
- The shark exhibit is filled with over 700,000 gallons of 50-degree salt water – brrrrrrrrrr!
- SeaWorld Orlando’s sharks have a tattoo on their fin that identifies each one. Females are tattooed on the left side and males on the right – who knew!
- Some sharks only eat 8-12 pounds of food a week – not as much as we thought!
- The tapetum lucidum is a mirror lens in shark’s eye that helps it gather light so it can see more clearly – we’ll take their word for it.
- The biggest shark is the whale shark, which is a filter feedr – enormous but thankfully no teeth to speak of!
- Sharks have a sixth sense called electroreception, thanks to pores around their faces that detect the electrical currents.
- The Mako Mural was painted by world renowned artist Guy Harvey.