The Magic Kingdom park was the first of the 4 theme parks to open at Walt Disney World Resort, it captures the enchantment of fairy tales with exciting entertainment, classic attractions, beloved Disney Characters and so much more. At least one very full day and a comfortable pair of shoes required! Arrive before the gates open to get ahead of the crowds. The Magic Kingdom Park®is by far the busiest park so a plan of attack is essential. It’s shaped like a giant pizza with seven lands (slices!) and that wondrous castle in the center.
Save Main St. USA for later in the day and head straight for the ‘mountains’ – Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain in Frontierland or Space Mountain in Tomorrowland. Tomorrowland is also home to the hilarious Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor – a comedy club for the whole family – where Mike from the movie is the ‘Monster of Ceremonies’.
Families with younger children may want to head directly to Fantasyland complete with Prince Charming’s Carousel, Dumbo The Flying Elephant and a great kids coaster called The Barnstormer. Fantasyland has undergone a huge expansion with new additions like Casey Jr’s Splash & Soak Station and every little girl’s new favorites, Under The Sea – Journey Of The Little Mermaid and Enchanted Tales With Belle. The Seven Dwarfs Mine Train is a huge hit – a great combo of speed, story telling and classic Disney characters.
Fans of ‘Toy Story’ can face off with the evil Emperor Zurg on Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin. Mickey’s Philharmagic is a stunning example of 3-D technology, complete with accompanying smells and the occasional squirt! The Festival Of Fantasy Parade is a great way to see all your favorite characters every afternoon, so get in place 45 minutes beforehand if you want an unobstructed view. The same applies to the wonderfully atmospheric night-time Main Street Electrical Parade – and don’t leave the park before enjoying Wishes, a beautifully orchestrated fireworks spectacular!
MAGIC KINGDOM TOP PICKS
- Head for the ‘Mountains’ - all three are must do’s!
(Height restrictions: Thunder Mountain 40”, Splash Mountain 40″, Space Mountain 44″)
- Mickey’s Philharmagic – simply brilliant!
- Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor – very funny, you can even text message your own jokes for the show!
- It’s a Small World – that darn song!
- Buzz Lightyear – junior space rangers will have a blast.
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train – heigh ho it’s a winner!
- Winnie The Pooh – a big deal for kids under 5.
- Dumbo – the timeless appeal of the flying elephant!
- Haunted Mansion - classic family fun with the spooks.
- Pirates Of The Caribbean – come pillage with Captain Jack!
- Celebrate The Magic Fireworks– worth staying late for 10 fantastic minutes
- Festival Of Fantasy Parade – 15 minutes of non stop photo ops!
- Main St Electrical Parade – 575,000 light bulbs says it all!
- Wait times for the various rides are posted in front of Cinderella’s Castle – avoid long lines by taking advantage of Disney’s FASTPASS Plus system which gives you a designated ride time on the most popular rides. Disney resort guests can book up to 60 days out – 30 days out if you are staying off Disney property. Great idea either way!
- If there are two night-time parades when you visit, plan on checking out the second one as it is a lot less crowded.
- As most people arrive at the weekend Mondays are busier, though let’s face it, when schools out every day is busy!
- To avoid disappointments always double-check the height requirements on the rides. Forewarned is forearmed where kids are concerned – less drama!
- Lookout for character greetings around the park during the day. Character Breakfasts are also excellent for little ‘Mickey Maniacs’.
- When you get to the front of the line utilize the ‘child swapping’ facilities (no it doesn’t mean you get to choose someone else’s better behaved kids!) - couples with infants or young kids can switch out with each other so both mom and dad can enjoy the bigger rides.
- Location: Walt Disney World® Resort
- Telephone: 1-800-W-DISNEY or (407) 824 2222